Laidlaw's Harley-Davidson Blog

Blog Archive

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Saving My Harley

Remembering the fires in OC, Yes I was one of the families that was right in the middle of the fires. On the day of the fires I was at work and received a call from the wife saying everything around us was on fire. My wife tells me that we are getting evacuated from our house. I'm freaking out, so I left work to go home and the freeways are shut down. My normal path home is the 10 fwy to 57 fwy off at Imperial and up to Yorba Linda. I hit the 10 and no traffic (Saturday) I think to myself cool I'll make it home in no time. I hit the 57 fwy and traffic is going nowhere. It take me 1 1/2 hrs to get, normally a 40 min drive from Laidlaw's. On the drive home I'm thinking to myself what do I need to grab. The Harley of course and some clothes if the house is still standing. I finally get to the front door and no one is there. My sons show up about 5-10 mins after that. So we load the truck with some stuff. Still don’t know what we loaded that day. You would have to been there to see what is was like. Fire all around us and you are in a panic mode. So after about 30-45 mins we are finally done and my sons take off to meet up with the wife. Would you have stayed or would you have gone? Well you know us thick headed males, I stayed to protect the house. After an about an hour, after my son left, my neighbor’s roof starts to catch on fire. So the neighbors on the another side and myself grab the hoses and start spraying down his roof. After about 10 mins or so we finally put the roof out. That why I stayed behind to make sure my family had a house to come home to. You should of seen the helicopters flying over the house. They where picking up water at East Lake Village one after the other to water drop the houses that were on fire in the neighborhood. Thank god for modern technology and thanks to all the fireman that helped out to make sure to minimize the damage.

Rick - Sales Mgr

No comments: