Laidlaw's Harley-Davidson Blog

Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Marilyn's Trip to Solvang

This month's post was sent in by, Marilyn C., a member of the San Gabriel Valley HOG Chapter. HOG combines the joy of riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles with fun, friends, and adventure! HOG organizes rides for its members to enjoy and last month they made a trip to Solvang, CA. Thanks again Marilyn for sending this in and enjoy reading about her trip to Solvang with San Gabriel Valley HOG!

I have been riding for a few months now. I always wanted a bike since I was 16 and now 30 years LATER I finally have one! As I learned how to ride I often thought about how cool it would be just to go down the open highway on my Harley-Davidson. I got my chance when our San Gabriel Valley HOG Chapter planned a trip to Solvang. I went there as a child every year with my grandmother and Mother growing up.

We met at a doughnut shop and it was a little chilly and overcast. Because of the size of the group we set off in two separate groups. I had never ridden with a group this big before and everyone was so nice to me. Everyone had great big smiles and most hadn't even had their coffee yet!


As we went through Pasadena and further north we started getting a little drizzle and heavy mist. Ok so it wasn't heavy but I had not "done" rain! Now, I don't like freeways and I have never ridden in rain, but the road captain, John was very attentive and was looking out for me. I kept going and it really wasn't bad at all and before we knew it we stopped for a fill-up and bathroom break.

The route had been pre-planned and it was an amazing little trip. Who knew that California had such nice little country roads? We traveled up to Fillmore and stopped at Ojai for lunch. I made some really nice friends and we had a great lunch together. I had so much fun meeting new people and getting to know them! They were so full of helpful information and riding tips! Before you knew it we had "saddled up" and were on our way to Solvang again. The view riding past Lake Cachuma and Lake Casitas was so wonderful from a bike! All your senses get used! Wind, sunshine, warm smells of the lake-and one skunk somewhere! You couldn't see it but you could smell it!

We got to Solvang and saw some townspeople doing traditional Danish dances and there were many adorable shops and everything was just the way I remembered it! Now I have some new memories with new friends! I am so glad I went on the ride and got past my fear of riding with new people. Everyone was so helpful and made the experience totally awesome! I can't wait to get together again for next month's adventure.....adventures in HOG!

-Marilyn

You can visit San Gabriel Valley HOG chapter's website at http://www.sangabrielvalleyhog.net/ and recieve information on upcoming events or how to join the chapter!









No comments: