Laidlaw's Harley-Davidson Blog

Blog Archive

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Legend of the Gremlin Bell

In searching the internet I found:
“Legend has it that a small bell attached to your motorcycle, close to the ground, catches the Evil Road Spirits. The little gremlins live on your motorcycle causing all kinds of mechanical problems. The cavity of the bell attracts these evil spirits, but the constant ringing drives them insane and they lose their grip and fall to the ground.”

I thought about this when asked/told that I should have one. This led me to the superstitions we as riders have. Mine is that I carry my dad’s dog tags from WWII with me as I ride because since I have a few years back I haven’t had an accident on my bike. I realize it is a superstition, and though my dad’s dogtags have immense personal meaning to me, I know in the end it has nothing to do with my not having an accident. As we get older, we ride differently…in my case more cautiously. And then I’m reminded by my Service Manager Keith that checking my bike before I ride helps limit the possibilities of potential problems. As the sun shines and the weather gets better, Keith suggests that it never hurts to do the following:

1. Verify you have fuel.
2. Check and adjust mirrors if necessary.
3. Check your oil.
4. Check operational control of:
a. Front and rear brakes.
b. Throttle.
c. Clutch and shifter.
5. Check steering operation.
6. Check tire condition and pressures.
7. Check electrical operations of:
a. Headlamp.
b. Tail lamp.
c. Turn signals.
d. Horn.
8. Check for leaks:
a. Fuel.
b. Oil.
c. Brakes.
9. Check belt for wear or damage.
10. Service your bike as necessary.

I still am a bit superstitious, and I will still continue to carry those dogtags, but I do fill just a little bit safer in checking my bike before I ride.

What do you do or better yet, what is your superstition to make you feel a little bit safer?

No comments: